Elephant Walk Wall HangingMay 31, 2018
Hi everyone, it is Connie with another fun AccuQuilt tutorial. Today I am sharing a cute little wall hanging designed with the Limited Edition 10th Anniversary GO! Elephants die that is fast and easy to make.
12″ x 20″
GO! Fabric Cutter:
GO! Cutting Dies:
- 2 Fat Quarters – neutral batik
- 5 ½” strip width of fabric (WOF) of 4 different bright batiks
- Scraps of a slightly darker neutral batik (for ears)
- 1/2 yard Heat n Bond Lite
- 1/2 yard fabric for backing and binding
- Elephants – Cut 4 – 5½” x 8½” pieces of the bright batiks – one of each color – fuse Heat n Bond Lite following the manufacturer directions.
- Ears – Cut five – 2 1/4″ x 3″ pieces of the darker neutral batik – fuse Heat n Bond Lite following the manufacturer directions.
- Cutting out the elephants and ears: Cut out two pieces of the fabrics at a time. Two of them with the right side facing up and two with the paper side facing up.
- Take the last piece of 2 1/4″ x 3″ darker neutral batik, fold in half, place on the die with right sides facing and cut two small ears.
- Cut two 3 3/4″ x 3 3/4″ bright batiks for two additional small elephants – use Heat n Bond Lite following the manufacturer directions, one blue and one green placing the fabrics on the die with right sides facing.
- Make the background blocks using the AccuQuilt GO! 6″ Bow Tie set or the AccuQuilt GO! 12″ Qube Companion Corner dies.
- Cut one 5 1/4″ x 5 1/4″ square of each of the four bright batiks, sub cut the 1½” finished half square triangles. You will only use four of them.
- Cut 4 – 7½” x 7½” squares neutral batiks – two of each neutral, sub cut 16 Bow tie pieces.
Sew with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Add the half square triangles (HST) to each of the Bow Tie pieces. Press toward the Bow Tie pieces.
Arrange your block pieces as shown below. Make all 4 blocks the same way.
Sew the sections together and add the large elephants to the blocks and then add the ears.
The free motion applique was done with black thread.
Sew the four blocks together.
Cut two 4½” x 12½” neutral strips and add one to each side of the blocks.
Add the small elephants and applique them. Use a Pigma Micron pen to draw circles for the eyes.
Add your batting and backing and quilt as desired. Use the 2 1/2″ strip cutter die to cut your binding.
If you would like to add loops to your wall hanging, cut three 2½” x 6″ pieces of the binding fabric, fold right sides together lengthwise and stitch with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Turn right side out and add to the back of your wall hanging before adding the binding.
I hope you have enjoyed the Elephant Walk Applique Wall Hanging and you could easily make this into a baby quilt just by adding more blocks. Find more FREE AccuQuilt Baby Quilt patterns here.
Please stop by my blog Freemotion by the River where you can sign up for my newsletter, find free easy quilt patterns for more projects and other goodies.