2017 Quilt Block Design Contest
Entering the Quilt Block Contest is easy! Just follow these simple guidelines:
- Design an original quilt block using AccuQuilt shapes.
- Your design must be a single quilt block, not an entire quilt.
- The design may be hand-drawn, designed in EQ7 or Adobe InDesign or Illustrator, etc.
- Upload an image of your block in .jpg, .gif, .tif or .png format.
- Get your friends, family, and fellow quilters ready to vote daily for your entry Aug. 1 – Aug. 15.
Read through the FAQs below for more details.
How can I submit my entry?
Enter by submitting original entry designs in .jpg, .gif, .tif, or .png format to https://www.accuquilt.com/contest on or before Aug. 22, 2017. Maximum file size is 50 MB. There is no cost to register or enter.
Does my design need to be based on AccuQuilt die shapes?
Yes. If you do not own an AccuQuilt Fabric Cutter, download the GO! Cutting Equivalents Chart which will provide you with the equivalent shapes and sizes that AccuQuilt offers for GO! dies. Find the chart here: http://www.accuquilt.com/go-cutting-equivalent
You can also download the AccuQuilt GO! and/or Studio catalog as a reference for available GO! shapes and sizes. Find the catalog here: http://www.accuquilt.com/catalog-request
What is an original design?
An original design will not infringe upon the copyright of another person’s design. If it is a public domain quilt block design (i.e., a design whose intellectual property rights have expired, have been forfeited or are inapplicable), then it is ok to use. However, we typically award creativity, so we’d suggest you create something that’s your own!
How many times can I enter?
You may enter as many times as you would like. There is no limit for entries.
Is there a specific size requirement for entries?
No. You can submit your design in any size you would like, as long as the file size is 50 MB or under. Designs should be in the shape of a square, since the winner will be displayed on a 17’ x 17’ sign outside of AccuQuilt Headquarters.
How do I vote & when?
To vote, click on the block you want to vote for. Click the ‘Vote’ button, enter your email address and your vote will be submitted. Voting runs Aug. 1 – Aug. 15, 2018.
How many times can I vote?
You can vote once per entry per day. Come back every day to vote for your favorites!
What is the entry deadline?
All entries are due by 11:59 pm CST on July 31, 2018.
When will the winners be announced?
Winners will be publicly announced at AccuQuilt Headquarters during the unveiling event on Sept. 18, 2018. Winners will be notified by AccuQuilt on or before Aug. 31, 2018.
How will winners be notified?
Winners will be notified via phone and e-mail. If winners cannot be reached through these methods, AccuQuilt will send notification information to their physical mailing address.
Do I need to send AccuQuilt an actual quilt block?
No. All that’s needed is a digital file of your design in .jpg, .gif, .tif, or .png format. Submit this file at www.accuquilt.com/contest.
Do I need to send AccuQuilt a quilt?
No. Please just submit a digital file of a single block in one of the file formats listed above.
Can I submit a design in Electric Quilt format?
Electric Quilt designs are acceptable if they are submitted in one of the file formats listed above.
Does my design need to be a traditional quilt block?
No. We’re leaving it open to your creativity. The design must be a unique design. Please remember that you cannot use a copyrighted design.
How are the designs judged?
- Fans can vote for their favorites throughout the voting portion of the contest, from Aug. 1 – Aug. 15.
- At the end of voting, the field will be narrowed down to the top 10 designs—one will be selected by popular vote and nine will be selected by the AccuQuilt team.
- Honorary Judge Eleanor Burns and the AccuQuilt management team will select the Grand Prize and Runner-Up Prize winners from final 10 blocks.
- The Fan’s Choice Prize winner will be selected based on popular vote.
- The Retailer Prize winner will be selected by the top finisher who selects their favorite AccuQuilt retailer.
- Winners will be contacted on or before Aug. 31, 2018.
If I am the Grand Prize or Runner-Up winner and am unable to travel to the AccuQuilt office for the unveiling, will I receive a substitution for the trip?
Substitutions are allowed if prizes cannot be awarded as described. See full contest rules.
Can I exchange a prize for something else if I don’t like it?
No, we award prizes as-is. Exchanges are not allowed. Substitutions, however, may be awarded if we (or participating sponsors) are unable to deliver the prize packages as described.
Can I win multiple prize packages if more than one of my designs place in the Top 10?
No, participants can only win one prize package from the voting and judging period. Entrants who place for multiple prizes will only be awarded the prize package with the greatest value. The lower-valued prize will be given away via random drawing that includes non-placing contest participants.